Utica Park Clinic is partnering with Tulsa Health Department dietitians Megan and Melissa for Facebook Live Cooking Classes. Below is the recipe from Megan and Melissa's February 28th Facebook Live featuring Butternut and Barley Pilaf.
To view this Facebook Live Cooking Class, click here: https://business.facebook.com/UticaPark/videos/2259041284336142/?busines...
Butternut and Barley Pilaf
-2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
-1 medium onion
-14 o.z. reduced sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 3/4 cups water
-1 cup pearl barley, uncooked
-2 cups frozen butternut squash
-1/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
-1 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1/4 tsp. black pepper
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Add broth, water and barley; bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Add frozen squash and increase heat to bring back up to a simmer. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until barley and squash are both tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes more.
4. Add parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper; mix gently.
5. Serve as grilled fish or chicken. Can also be served cold on greens to add a whole grain to your salad.